Monsoon region of rice cultivation some 7,000 years of history, Rice is the favorite food of local people, the production of rice accounted for the vast majority of the total world rice production. China is the world’s largest rice-producing countries.
Distributed and Exports
World rice production in vast majority located in the monsoon region of East Asia, South east Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia’s tropical rain forest.
Location factors of rice cultivation in Asia
- Rice-growing industry is a labor-intensive agriculture, labor-intensive and requires a lot of labor intensive, East Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia, dense population.
- Rice yield, rice-growing areas in Asia is the world’s most densely populated areas, less per capita arable land to grow rice, so here can ease the population pressure on land and the demand for food;
- Tropical rainforest climate, tropical, subtropical monsoon climate with adequate water and heat conditions;
- Rice in the plains and hilly areas;
- Rice is concentrated in the plains of the rivers middle and lower reaches, and plenty of water.
Characteristics of rice cultivation in Asia
- Small farmers operate. Rice production to the family as a unit, less per capita arable land per arable fields, household rice farming area of southern China is generally less than one hectare;
- The yield per unit area, but the commodity is low. Intensive farmers in the fields, so that the rice yield per unit area higher. But a considerable part of the rice due to the small scale of production, the total output of household rice, subject to the constraints of traditional values and economic level, the farmers will receive up reserved for their own use, and sent to the rice sold on the market is limited ; Thailand special case, its exports.
- Mechanization and low technological level. Farmers engaged in manual labor in general, nearly two decades, the use of electricity for irrigation, threshing and other development faster, gradually increase the usage of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, but in general, the level of mechanization and technology is still relatively low; the exception of Japan paddy mechanization has made great progress, the level of mechanization of rice production in other Asian countries is still low.
- Hydraulic engineering Irrigated rice production base. Frequent floods and drought disasters in the monsoon regions, the threat to rice production is very high. Small holder business is unable to build water conservancy projects, the need for government to invest heavily and the organization of water conservancy construction;
Except Asia, Africa, Egypt, Nigeria, Europe, Spain, Italy, Latin America, Cuba, Venezuela, Brazil, the rice exports growing industry in the lower Mississippi River region, but also distributed large tracts of paddy fields, but with the large-scale dry land live production.